Harvest your dandelion flowers in the morning before they fully open. Be sure to harvest from an area that is as clean as possible.
To harvest, grasp the yellow petals of the flower and twist them off the green part. Don’t use the green parts in the recipe, they are bitter. You just want the yellow petals.
1 cup dandelion petals
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sunflower oil
4 tbsp honey
1.5 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a bread baking dish.
- Blend all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the petals and stir gently, making sure the separate any clumps.
- In a second bowl, mix milk, honey, oil and egg.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, and stir well to form a wet, lumpy batter.
- Pour into a buttered bread tin.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick – if it’s still too moist in the middle, lower the temperature and check every five minutes.
Serve with honey and butter.