I created this recipe for my son, who has a hard time falling asleep. It incorporates both herbal healing and aromatherapy to soothe the mind and support a good night’s sleep. This recipe is written for dried herbs, but fresh herbs could certainly be substituted. Just raise the amount of herbs to 1/4 cup if you are using fresh herbs.
1 cup almond oil
2 Tbsp lavender flowers
2 Tbsp Chamomile flowers
2 Tbsp Lemon balm
5 Hops flowers
1/4 cup beeswax
1/2 tsp vitamin E
10 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Chamomile essential oil
5 drops ylang ylang essential oils
1. In a double boiler, infuse the dried herbs in the almond oil for about 2 hours or until the oil appears saturated.
2. Remove from heat, and strain through cheesecloth. Compost the herbs and return the clear oil to the double boiler.
3. Add the beeswax to the oil, and heat gently until all the wax is incorporated.
4. Remove from heat and pour into small jars.
5. Add essential oils and vitamin E, stir gently, and cap tightly.
6. Label and date.
TO USE: Rub a small dab of the salve onto your temples and wrists before bed.